Last month, a doctor from Northern Alberta asked a group of U.S. Senators to "keep up the pressure" on the Canadian government about an "ongoing tragedy" he has witnessed firsthand: a health crisis provoked by tar sands development.
Dr. John O'Connor doesn't just claim that the Canadian government is willfully ignoring the impacts of the tar sands on the environment and human health—drastically higher incidence of some rare cancers linked to contaminants released into the air and water by tar sands development, for instance—he claims that in their blind rush to make Canada an...
What is Harper Afraid Of?
What is Harper Afraid Of?
By Franke James
UPDATE: Watch the animated video version here.
Visual Essay Credits
“Hey Mister Prime Minister, What are You Afraid Of?” © 2012 Franke James
Writing and illustration by Franke James (see additional photo credits below).
Transcript: Features quotes from Franke James’ March 3, 2012 interview with Joe Oliver, Federal Minister of Natural Resources.
Franke James is an award-winning artist whose illustrated essays on environmental and social issues have been reviewed and showcased around the world. In November 2011, James' art show "Banned on the Hill" appeared in Ottawa, around the corner from Parliament Hill. The crowd-funded billboard show protested the silencing of environmental voices by the Harper Government. James is the author of the illustrated book, Bothered by My Green Conscience, and a member of the Writers Union of Canada, PEN Canada and CARFAC. She has a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Victoria and lives in Toronto. For more information see: http://www.frankejames.com. Franke on Twitter: http://twitter.com/frankejames
The Green Party of Canada: Sign the Petition to Stop Bill C-38
Lead Now: Tell Finance Minister Jim Flaherty: Stop the Budget Bill from Selling Out Canada’s Natural Heritage and Economy
Dogwood Initiative: Sign the No Tankers Petition
Avaaz Petition: No Enbridge Tankers/Pipeline in BC Great Bear Rainforest!
Support Environmental Groups: Blackout Speakout on June 4th
Pacific Wild’s Action Tips: Writing Letters to Local and National Newspapers
Thank you to the following organizations for photos and resources:
Living Oceans Society
Living Oceans photo: T-Shirt with “I have this Sinking Feeling about Enbridge”
Living Oceans photo of First Nations “We say no to Enbridge” protest
Living Oceans Map of Proposed Tanker Route to Kitimat
Tar Sands Mining Photo: © David Dodge, Pembina Institute
Photo: Suncor upgrader complex adjacent to Athabasca River © 2002 Chris Evans, Pembina
Dogwood Initiative: No-Tankers Loonie decal
Additional photos used with permission
Dr David Schindler photo: Ed Kaiser, Edmonton Journal
Syncrude 2007 -12 photo © 2007 David Dodge, CPAWS
Empire State Building photo © Daniel Schwen, 2008, Wikimedia
Oil Sheen From Valdez Spill photo Wikimedia © NOAA
Dead Oil Covered Birds Photo © Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Trustee Council; Wikimedia.
Selected Background Research:
Oil Sands Pollution, Pipelines and Tankers:
- Secret Environment Canada Report (ATIP request by Mike De Souza, PostMedia)
- Living Oceans: Who Pays? Fact sheet
- Living Oceans: Taxpayers on the hook for catastrophic oil spills from Enbridge Northern Gateway
- Raincoast: What’s at stake? The cost of oil on British Columbia’s priceless coast (See Exxon Valdez spill costs page 35)
- Dogwood Initiative: The Epic Struggle to protect B.C.’s coast
- Exclusive Map: The Tar Sands Pipeline Boom
Silencing the Scientists (The Shortlist)
- 2012 Toronto Star: Federal scientists say they’re being muzzled
- 2012 CBC: Muzzling of federal scientists targeted by campaign
- 2011 Canada.com: Ottawa silences scientist over West Coast salmon study
- 2010 Canada.com: Climate-change scientists feel ‘muzzled’ by Ottawa: Documents
- 2008 Kevin Grandia, deSmogBlog: Harper Government Muzzling Environment Canada Scientists
Silencing Franke James
- 2012: Voices-Voix The Blacklisting of Franke James
- 201-2012: Franke James’ Fight Against the Harper Govt’s Censorship of her Climate Change Art
RESEARCH, NEWS AND REPORTS:
- Mike De Souza, PostMedia Feds to cut air pollution monitoring team
- Mike De Souza, PostMedia Federal government could be sued over fisheries reform, minister admits
- Robyn Allan,The TYEE Gateway Designed to Pump Far More Crude than Advertised
- Editorial, The Globe and Mail Ottawa should halt its smear campaign against pipeline detractors
- First Nations UN Complaint: Harper Government Racism on Pipelines Violates International Law
- BBC News article [re: Cree Lake Nation] EU to vote on oil sands pollution
- Andrew Nikiforuk, The TYEE Eleven Oily Questions for Every MP
- Andrew Nikiforuk, The TYEE The Expert’s Report that Damns the Northern Gateway Pipeline
- First Nations Press Release: Enbridge Review: First Nations Accuse Harper Government of Flouting Its Own Laws by Predetermining Outcome of Pipeline Review
- Globe and Mail Meet the ex-Bay Streeter leading Tory charge against oil-sands opponents
- Peter O’Neil, Calgary Herald Natural Resources minister blasts plan to block Northern Gateway pipeline
- Rebecca Penty, Calgary Herald Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver defends regulatory overhaul (Revokes NEB’s power)
- UK Reuters: Jeffrey Jones, Calgary Enbridge’s Gateway pipeline still in legal swamp
- Toronto Star, Tim Harper: Pipeline politics in Canada and U.S. a peril for Stephen Harper
- CBC News Harper warns pipeline hearings could be ‘hijacked’
- Laura Payton, CBC News Radicals working against oilsands, Ottawa says Environment groups ‘threaten to hijack’ system, natural resources minister says
- The Globe and Mail An open letter from Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver
- Mike De Souza, PostMedia ‘Secret’ Environment Canada presentation warns of tar sands’ impact on habitat
- Secret Environment Canada Report (ATIP documents obtained by Mike De Souza, PostMedia)
- Dr. David Schindler: Deformed fish found in lake downstream from oilsands
- Dianne Saxe Envirolaw: Syncrude pays $3M for dead ducks
The Big Waffle? New Report Exposes Corporations That Try to Split the Difference on Global Warming