Media Review looked at 810 randomly selected news articles, opinion pieces and letters to the editor relating to either “climate change” or “global warming” that appeared in the National Post between July, 2003 and July, 2006. Of those 810 articles, 168 were identified as either supporting the science behind climate change or questioning the science behind climate change.
Of the 168 articles, 66% (112) questioned the science behind man-made climate change, while 33% (56) supported the scientific conclusion that the climate is changing and human activity is at least partly to blame.This compares to a broad study of all North American media outlets, in which 53 per cent of all related stories question the science. Which, in turn, compares to the peer-reviewed scientific press , in which no articles published in the decade between 1993 and 2003 took issue with the scientific consensus that climate change is a problem of humankind's making.
Yet the National Post has reported such statements as this:“Perhaps the most significant psychological characteristic of doomsters is their unshakeable faith and their fundamental rejection of science.”
- The roots of enviro-hysteria, National Post, June 2, 2004 “C02 isn’t toxic, nor a pollutant. Naming it such as an indirect approach to effect climate change policy would be scientifically groundless.”
- The scapegoat gas, National Post, Feb. 8, 2004 “In other countries, including Canada, a concerted campaign of propaganda by the government and NGOs has ‘turned’ most of the British media into not merely supporters of claims of anthropogenic [man-made] climate change, but in many cases crusaders against its alleged consequences.”
- Hokey shtick, National Post, Feb. 3, 2005 “The United Nation’s climate control machine sputtered through another mass meeting in Buenos Aires last week. The science is falling apart, the political support is unraveling…”
- Insurance climate alarm rings false, National post. Dec. 21, 2004 “A trumpeted consensus to the contrary is a global hoax…”
“Yet the scientific community is far from any global warming consenus…” - Climate cover-up, National Post, May 17, 2005
“The latest brand of brainwash doing the rounds is that anybody who doubts man-made global warming is like those mouthpieces for the tobacco companies who denied the link between smoking and cancer.”
- Pure Gospan, National Post, Mar. 30, 2005
 http://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=www.desmogblog.com%2Fa-quantitative-media-review-of-the-national-posts-climate-change-coverage&title=A Quantitative Media Review of the National Postâ€™s Climate Change Coverage
 http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=www.desmogblog.com%2Fa-quantitative-media-review-of-the-national-posts-climate-change-coverage&title=A Quantitative Media Review of the National Postâ€™s Climate Change Coverage
 http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?status=A Quantitative Media Review of the National Postâ€™s Climate Change Coverage+www.desmogblog.com%2Fa-quantitative-media-review-of-the-national-posts-climate-change-coverage