The Leadership Institute (LI)
The Leadership Institute (LI) was founded in 1979 by Morton C. Blackwell who serves as its current president. The Institute specializes in training potential conservative political leaders in campaigns, fundraising, grassroots organization, youth politics, and communications. 
According to their website, “The Institute teaches conservatives of all ages how to succeed in politics, government, and the media” and has trained more than 168,000 conservative activists, leaders, and students.  The website also states that the Leadership Institute “doesn’t analyze policy; it teaches conservative Americans how to influence policy through direct participation, activism, and leadership.”
In their own words, the Leadership Institute hosts sessions across their country where they train “freedom fighters” to “learn how to defeat the radical left.” 
Morton Blackwell has also served as Executive Director of the secretive Council for National Policy, a foundation Right Wing Watch describes as composed of leaders of right wing public policy organizations, major donors, and noted conservative leaders. Blackwell is also the Chairman and founder of the Conservative Leadership PAC. , 
The Leadership Institute proclaims that it “actively supports the entire conservative movement.” 
Stance on Climate Change
The Leadership Institute offers an “activism idea” to create a “Global Warming Beach Party” and further offers activism grants to help cover the cost of materials. 
The video (see below) quotes climate change skeptic Richard Lindzen and suggests to “distribute literature that highlights misinformation spread by environmental extremists and shows the damage that liberal environmental policies cause the economy.” The Leadership Institute promises to promote some of these user-submitted videos on their Campus Reform website as well as other media.
Here is a quote taken from the Leadership Institute's Campus Reform project blog in 2009:
“For the leftist activists, COP 15 and the protest was about changing the system (aka ending capitalism). Climate change is merely an excuse to collapse capitalism and switch to socialists economic systems.” 
See the attached spreadsheet for additional information on the Leadership Institute's funding by year (.xlsx).
Leadership Institute as Recipient
|Ed Uihlein Family Foundation||$965,000|
|F.M. Kirby Foundation||$960,000|
|The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation||$875,000|
|Castle Rock Foundation||$642,655|
|Dorothy D. and Joseph A. Moller Foundation||$500,625|
|Donors Capital Fund||$475,500|
|Stuart Family Foundation||$473,000|
|The Shelby Cullom Davis Foundation||$425,000|
|Bill and Berniece Grewcock Foundation||$220,000|
|The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation||$205,000|
|The Rodney Fund||$189,000|
|Bochnowski Family Foundation||$170,000|
|Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation||$109,500|
|Orville D. and Ruth A. Merillat Foundation||$102,000|
|DeVos Urban Leadership Initiative||$75,000|
|Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation||$71,311|
|American Petroleum Institute||$70,000|
|The Whitcomb Charitable Foundation||$52,000|
|John William Pope Foundation||$50,000|
|National Christian Charitable Foundation||$45,450|
|Joe R Lee Family Foundation||$45,000|
|Joyce and Donald Rumsfeld Foundation||$29,500|
|Diana Davis Spencer Foundation||$28,000|
|The Roe Foundation||$26,000|
|The Vernon K. Krieble Foundation||$25,500|
|The Challenge Foundation||$22,500|
|Dunn's Foundation for the Advancement of Right Thinking||$19,900|
|John Templeton Foundation||$12,500|
|The Gordon and Mary Cain Foundation||$5,000|
|Robert and Marie Hansen Foundation||$3,000|
|Concerned Women for America||$1,000|
Leadership Institute as Donor
|St. Andrews Episcopal School||$50,000|
|The Heritage Foundation||$45,935|
|National Right To Work Legal Defense Fund||$44,435|
|Alliance Defense Fund||$42,435|
|International Mission Board||$42,435|
|Pacific Legal Foundation||$42,435|
|Citizens Against Government Waste||$30,518|
|Concerned Women for America||$21,217|
|Media Research Center||$11,000|
|Free Congress Foundation||$10,000|
|Bill of Rights Institute||$2,500|
|Mass Eye and Ear Institute||$2,500|
|Milton Rose D Friedman Foundation||$1,500|
|American Red Cross||$1,000|
|David Horowitz Freedom Center||$1,000|
|Intercollegiate Studies Institute||$1,000|
|Parents TV Council||$1,000|
|The Claremont Institute||$1,000|
|The Fund for American Studies||$1,000|
|The James Madison Institute||$1,000|
|The National Center for Public Policy||$1,000|
|The Objectivist Center||$1,000|
|US English Foundation||$1,000|
|Young America's Foundation||$1,000|
|American Council on Science Health||$500|
|Americans for Prosperity||$500|
|Competitive Enterprise Institute||$500|
|Hospice Education Institute||$500|
|Institute for Justice||$500|
|Ronald Reagan Presidential Library||$500|
|US Naval Academy Foundation||$500|
*Original tax records prior to 1997 are no longer available. However, if you include $12,000 from 1995, the Leadership Institute's grand total for Koch funding moves to $258,389. 
|Year||Charles Koch Foundation||Charles Koch Institute||Claude R. Lambe Charitable Foundation||Grand Total|
The LI has in turn funded the National Center for Public Policy Research (NCPPR), PR watch reports. 
Board of Directors
- Morton Blackwell — President
- M Dennis Daugherty — 1st Vice President
- Craig Murphy — Treasurer
- Ed Corrigan — Secretary
- Chuck Cunningham — Director
- Rev. Fred Fowler III — Director
- John Maxwell — Director
- Darío Paya — Honorary Director
- Alexandre Pesey — Honorary Director
- Ryan Rhodes — Director
- Michael Rothfeld — Director
- Fred Sacher — Director Emeritus
- Charles Thornhill — Director
- Jade West — Director
As of October, 2015: 
- Morton Blackwell — President
- Cathy Graham — Executive Assistant to the President
- Joanne Bogan — Receptionist
- David Fenner — Vice President of Programs
- Zachary Mingo — Programs Coordinator
Political and Career Programs
- Patricia Simpson — Director of Career Programs
- Aynsley Harrison — Career Services Coordinator
- Lacey White — Programs Assistant
- Paul Alfonse — Intern Coordinator
- Angel Chitnatham — Political Training Manager
- Jared Reni — Communications Training Manager
- Kyle Baccei — Communications Manager
- Robert Arnakis — Senior Director of Domestic and International Programs
- JC Hernandez — Director of Grassroots Coalitions
- Ron Nehring — Director of International Training
- Deirdre Hackleman — Director of Events
- Rachel Hannabass — Events Coordinator
- Carol Wehe — Director of External Affairs
- Carmela Martinez — Marketing Coordinator
Campus Leadership Program
- Bryan Bernys — Vice President for the Campus Leadership Program
- Ryan Young — Director of Special Projects
- Sterling Beard — CampusReform.org Editor In Chief
- Laura Falcon — Campus Reform Program Coordinator
- Peter Fricke — Investigative Reporter
- Summer Ratcliff — Managing Editor
National Field Program
- Michael Armstrong — National Field Director
- Gabriella Hoffman — Regional Field Coordinator
- Craig Dixon — Regional Field Coordinator
- Kristin Dobson — Deputy National Field Director
- Christopher Bradford — Regional Field Coordinator
- Emily Larsen — Regional Field Coordinator
- Nicholas Glad — Regional Field Coordinator
- Abe Alassaf — Regional Field Coordinator
- David Blair — Regional Field Coordinator
- Crissy Brown — Regional Field Coordinator
- Fernando Reyes — Regional Field Coordinator
- Daryl Ann Dunigan — Youth Leadership School Director
- James Northrop — YLS Coordinator
- Steven Sutton — Vice President of Development
- John Davis — Director of Donor Communications
- Brian Eaton — Senior Regional Development Officer
- Karla Bruno — Director of Foundation and Corporate Relations
- Elizabeth McCullough — Donor Communications Coordinator
- Mitchell Nozka — Deputy Director, Donor Communications
- Bethany Jones - Regional Development Officer
- John McGovern — Regional Development Officer
- Oressa Boelk — Donor Relations Officer
- Yana Myaskovskaya — Regional Development Officer
- Katherine Bolyard — Donor Relations Officer
- Aaron Rainwater — Donor Relations Officer
- Martin Rojas — Donor Communications Coordinator
- Frank Manning — Volunteer
- Clark Vandeventer — Regional Development Officer
- Brandon Blum — Regional Development Officer
- Michael LaCroix — Donor Relations Officer
- Waverly Woods — Donor Relations Officer
- Mitch McConnell — U.S. Senator from Kentucky.
- Jim Gilmore — former governor of Virginia.
- Karl Rove — Bush 43 political strategist.
- James Guckert — Talon News “reporter.”
- David McIntosh — Congressman from Indiana.
- Mark Souder — Congressman from Indiana.
- JoAnn Davis — Congresswoman from Virginia.
- Joe Wilson — Congressman from South Carolina.
- Grover Norquist — President, Americans for Tax Reform.
- Ralph Reed — former Executive Director Christian Coalition.
- Jason Miller — Young conservative leader.
February 22 - 25, 2017
July 7 - 9, 2015
July 7 - 9, 2014
May 21 - 23, 2012
May 27, 2010
May 16 - 18, 2010
The LI's Campus Reform Project promoted the formation of groups to “highlight the absurdity of climate change claims” with the specific purpose of getting media attention and starting a movement on campus to “share information about Climategate and climate change with other students.” 
June 7, 2002
LI President Morton Blackwell was a signatory to a letter to President Bush urging him to withdraw the Climate Action Report 2002 and to “direct that it be re-written on the basis of sound science and without relying on discredited products of the previous administration.”
Signatories also urged Bush “to dismiss or re-assign all administration employees who are not pursuing your agenda, just as you have done in several similar instances.” 
Leadership Institute Contact & Location
As of June 2016, the Leadership Institute listed the following contact information on its website: 
Steven P.J. Wood Building, 1101 N Highland St,
Arlington, VA, 22201
Phone: (703) 247-2000
Fax: (703) 247-2001
- LI Studios
- Cornell Review — “affiliated with Campus Reform through the Leadership Institute's Campus Leadership Program” 
“Leadership Institute-trained freedom fighters gather in Washington, DC,” Leadership Institute, January 22, 2010. Archived October 21, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6cSDK1iSG
“Morton C. Blackwell,” American Conservative Union. Archived August 16, 2000.
“Leadership Institute,” Right Wing Watch. Archived October 21, 2015.
“Global Warming Beach Party,” Leadership Institute. Accessed October 20, 2015.
Justin Pulliam. “Hopenhagen Socialism Part 1: 'Change the System',” CampusReform.org, December 22, 2009. Archived December 22, 2009.
“Leadership Institute,” (search string), Conservative Transparency. Data retrieved July 6, 2016.
The Foundation Directory, 1995 Edition, P. 1349 (PDF). Archived by Greenpeace.
Lisa Graves. “Right-Wing Operatives Take Up ALEC's Voter Suppression Agenda,” PR Watch, April 19, 2012. Archived October 21, 2015.
“Sponsors,” ICCC10. Archived July 15, 2015.
“ICCC9 CoSponsors,” International Conferences on Climate Change (The Heartland Institute). Archived July 27, 2015.
“Seventh International Conference on Climate Change: Sponsored by the Heartland Institute” (PDF), the Heartland Institute. Archived August 15, 2015.
“Co-Sponsors,” The 2010 International Conference on Climate Change, January 16, 2010. Archived January 24, 2010.
“Can't Go to Copenhagen? You Can Still Party for a Good Cause,” Campusreform, December 8, 2009. (*Page no longer available on live web, or on web archive).
“Joint Letter To President Bush On The EPA's Climate Action Report,” Competitive Enterprise Institute, June 7, 2002. Archived October 21, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6cSBlfiq8
Casey Breznick. “Cornell professor says hiring Republicans would decrease faculty quality,“ The Cornell Review, October 15, 2015. Republished by Campus Reform. Archived October 21, 2015. WebCite URL: http://www.webcitation.org/6cSChy61Z
“The Leadership Institute,” SourceWatch. Archived October 21, 2015.
“Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine,” Greenpeace USA. Accessed March 14, 2017. Data on file at DeSmog.
“Leadership Institute,” Wikipedia.