- Loris has a master's degree in economics from George Mason University in Fairfax, Va and a bachelor's degree in economics, finance, and political science from Albright College in Reading, Pa. 
Nicolas (Nick) Loris is a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation where, according to his profile, he writes about “energy supplies, energy prices, and other economic effects of environmental policies and regulations, including climate change legislation, energy efficiency mandates, and energy subsidies.” 
He also “articulates the benefits of free market environmentalism” and covers coal, oil, natural gas, and nuclear energy. Loris was formerly an associate at the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation where he was a senior fellow until joining Heritage in 2007. 
Stance on Climate Change
March 10, 2017
“I do still think there's plenty of disagreement on how much warming is man-made, how quickly the planet is warming, what a doubling of CO2 emissions will mean for global temperatures,” he said. “That's not to say climate change isn't happening or that man-made emissions aren't playing a role. That's obviously the case.” 
January 18, 2017
In an article at The Daily Signal, Loris defended Scott Pruitt's confirmation as EPA Administrator and claimed Pruitt was not a climate change denier. Loris also described his own interpretation of climate change science: 
“Pruitt’s opponents painted him as a climate denier, despite the fact he’s never actually denied the science behind man-made warming. The reality is climatologists have a wide range of theories as to the magnitude of warming, the causes, man-made emissions’ impact on warming, and the rate of future warming and reliability of climate models to predict centuries into the future.
“Despite claims from senators that the planet is experiencing more frequent and intense natural disasters, the data show no trends for extreme weather events. And despite fearmongering about sea level increases that would flood coastal cities, the current rate of sea level rise lies far beneath alarmist projections.”
September 6, 2016
July 12, 2016
“The fact of the matter is that no overwhelming consensus exists among climatologists on the magnitude of future warming, man’s impact on the climate, or on the urgency to reduce carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions,” Loris wrote at The Daily Signal. 
April 6, 2018
“The purpose of taxing carbon dioxide is not because of its impact on human health, but because of its alleged contribution to climate change. Taxing carbon dioxide emissions, however, will not result in any meaningful abated warming.”
October 10, 2017
“The Clean Air Act was never intended to regulate carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions,” Loris wrote at The Daily Signal, “Congress should pass legislation prohibiting the EPA and other agencies from implementing harmful regulations that stunt economic growth and produce futile climate benefits.” 
June 23, 2017
“Like Mississippi’s Public Service Commission, Washington should pull the plug on clean coal,” Loris wrote.
June 1, 2017
“The Paris Agreement, which committed the U.S. to drastically reducing greenhouse gas emissions, was a truly bad deal—bad for American taxpayers, American energy companies, and every single American who depends on affordable, reliable energy,” Loris co-wrote in an article at The Daily Signal. 
June 24, 2019
“Who’s benefiting from this government-forced benevolence?” He wrote, “The people who need help from other taxpayers and ratepayers the least. […] Extending the tax credit and increasing the cap would be an economic and political loser. Congress should pump the brakes on this cronyist handout that benefits the elite.” 
June 20, 2019
“Rather than imposing regulations and gifting subsidies to nudge consumers in a specific direction, policymakers should eliminate preferential treatment for all fuels and technologies. When it comes to car and light truck purchases, consumers should be in the driver’s seat,” Loris said. 
The SAFE (Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient) Vehicles Rule proposed by the Trump administration would apply to cars and light-duty trucks in model years 2021-2026 and freeze the 2021 fuel-economy mandate at 37 mpg through 2025, replacing the Obama-era Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. 
An official fact sheet released by the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) claimed the SAFE rule would save “up to 1,000 lives lost annually in fatal vehicle crashes,” although Deputy NHTSA Administrator Heidi King could not provide corroborating data in the committee hearing. 
Sen. Jan Schakowsky (IL), who chaired the hearing, said that the proposed SAFE rule was based on “sham science” and was a “remarkable overstatement of safety benefits that cannot withstand public scrutiny.” 
April 9, 2019
Loris testified at a hearing of the House Committee on Oversight Reform’s Subcommittee on Environment. After admitting that climate change “is real and it is clear that man-made emissions are having an impact,” Loris downplayed scientists’ understanding of climate change: 
“Distinguishing what climatologists know, what they do not know, and what they might know is necessary so that objective, transparent science can guide public policy. […] Science should be a guiding principle for Congress; however, the politicization of science jeopardizes sound policymaking,” Loris claimed in his testimony. 
Loris warned against reducing reliance on fossil fuels, and suggested government interference would reduce incomes and GDP while increasing consumer costs and job losses: 
“No matter where one stands on the urgency to combat climate change, proposed federal policies like cap and trade, a carbon tax, or regulations on power plants would be ineffective in combatting climate change. In fact, the U.S. could cut its carbon-dioxide emissions 100 percent and it would not make a difference abating much warming.” 
He further called for the repeal and reform of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA) to remove barriers to energy development. 
He concluded his testimony by making a case for adaptation to extreme weather events:
“Whether a challenge occurs slowly over time like sea-level rise or occurs without much warning like a hurricane, adaptation to extreme weather is critical to increasing resilience of America’s infrastructure. Learning lessons from previous storms and using the best scientific and technical information available will improve the ability to reduce dangers from future climate-related challenges.” 
December 3, 2018
Referring to electric vehicle tax credits as a corporate welfare scheme, Loris praised President Trump’s recent remarks about possibly cutting subsidies for General Motors after the automaker announced thousands of layoffs. Trump hinted that the move would also apply to tax credits for electric vehicles produced by GM. 
Loris claimed that electric vehicles offer little to no environmental benefit, are only accessible by wealthy consumers, and that tax credits undermine free market competition. 
Writing for The Daily Signal, Loris also proposed the elimination of credits and subsidies for all forms of energy:
“Rather than extend the tax credit for electric vehicles, Congress should eliminate preferential treatment for all energy sources and technologies. That way, innovative companies will be chasing after the preferences of consumers rather than the next handout from Washington.” 
August 7, 2018
“The purpose of this event is to promote and expand energy freedom in the United States, as outlined in President Donald Trump’s bold America First Energy Plan, a proposal first released during the 2016 presidential campaign. The president’s plan marks a decisive change in direction from the Obama administration’s 'war on fossil fuels' and focus on the theory of catastrophic man-caused climate change,” the conference description reads. 
March 2, 2018
September 8, 2017
Citing data from Bjorn Lomborg and Roger Pielke Jr., and claiming mainstream data also supports his viewpoint, Loris claimed that it is a “myth” that climate change created hurricane Harvey and Irma. 
Sources including Scientific American had concluded that Harvey was made more powerful due to global warming. Human-caused climate change caused the storm to drop significantly more rain than storms would have before atmospheric carbon dioxide levels spiked from the consumption of fossil fuels, according to research published yesterday,” Scientific American reported. 
Loris claims “University of Washington climatologist Cliff Mass” discredits this claim. According to his profile at the U of W, Mass is a meteorologist. His profile does not mention a specific background in climatology. 
- The Heritage Foundation — Herbert and Joyce Morgan Fellow in Energy and Environmental Policy, Center for Free Markets and Regulatory Reform. Former senior policy analyst (2013 – 2016) and former Morgan fellow (2012). 
- Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation — Associate. 
- @NiconomistLoris on Twitter.
Loris contributes to the Heritage Foundation's publication, The Daily Signal. According to his Heritage profile, he has also testified before House and Senate committees and “he has been published and quoted in major newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. His radio and television appearances include CNN, Fox News Channel, MSNBC, and National Public Radio.” , 
View a full list of Loris's publications, sortable by keyword (.xlsx). Sample publications below:
- “How 'Green' Energy Subsidies Transfer Wealth to the Rich,”The Daily Caller, Jul 18, 2018.
- “Some of the Loudest Backers of Paris Climate Accords Are Bucking the Agreement,”The Daily Caller, Jun 01, 2018.
- “Germany Becomes the New Poster Child for Climate Change Hypocrisy,”The Daily Caller, Jan 11, 2018.
- “Obama's Climate Plan Was a Failure on All Accounts,”The Daily Caller, Oct 10, 2017.
- “The Myth That Climate Change Created Harvey, Irma,”The Daily Caller, Sep 08, 2017.
- “It's Unwise for Mayors to Embark on Costly Climate Plans. But It's Also Their Right.,”The Daily Caller, Jul 12, 2017.
- “Climate Budget Cuts Are Smart Management, Not an Attack on Science,”The Daily Caller, May 25, 2017.
- “Time for Trump to Fulfill Promise and Withdraw From Paris Climate Agreement,”The Daily Caller, May 09, 2017.
- “Trump's Sweeping Executive Order on Climate Policy Has Been Sorely Needed,”The Daily Caller, Mar 28, 2017.
- “Time to Say 'Au Revoir' to Paris Climate Deal,”The Daily Caller, Mar 03, 2017.
- “EPA's Top Priority Should Be to Eliminate Bogus Global Warming Models,”The Daily Caller, Jan 18, 2017.
- “Climate Data Deniers Are Trying to 'Bork' Trump's EPA Transition Leader,”The Daily Caller, Dec 01, 2016.
- “Debunking Leonardo DiCaprio's Climate Change Documentary,”The Daily Caller, Nov 10, 2016.
- “Media Made Right Call to Ignore Climate Change in Debates,”The Daily Caller, Oct 26, 2016.
- “Why It's Bad News That Paris Global Warming Agreement Now Includes 60 Countries,”The Daily Caller, Sep 23, 2016.
- “DC School's 'Green Academy' Selling False Hope With Renewable Energy Training,”The Daily Caller, Aug 24, 2016.
- “The Facts Show Louisiana's Floods Not Caused by Man-Made Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Aug 17, 2016.
- “These Climate Change Regulations Will Increase Your Electric Bill ¬†,”The Daily Caller, Jul 29, 2016.
- “The Left's Climate Change Hysteria,”The Daily Caller, Jul 12, 2016.
- “How Brexit Will Affect Paris Global Warming Treaty,”The Daily Caller, Jun 28, 2016.
- “Is 'Game of Thrones' Secretly About Global Warming?,”The Daily Caller, May 24, 2016.
- “New York Times Promotes Myth That Man-Made Climate Change Refugees Exist,”The Daily Caller, May 04, 2016.
- “Top 5 Reasons Congress Should Reject Obama's Climate Change Treaty,”The Daily Caller, Apr 19, 2016.
- “Green Subsidies Bill Perfectly Illustrates Washington's Spending Addiction,”The Daily Caller, Apr 08, 2016.
- “Supreme Court Halts Obama's Aggressive Climate Agenda,”The Daily Caller, Feb 10, 2016.
- “How the 'Green Revolution' Has a Backward View on Economic Growth,”The Daily Caller, Jan 07, 2016.
- “How UN Conferences Have Created a False Climate Narrative,”The Daily Caller, Dec 18, 2015.
- “A Vote for Green Climate Fund in Omnibus Spending Bill Is a Vote for Paris Agreement,”The Daily Caller, Dec 15, 2015.
- “John Kerry's Surprising Comments on International Regulations and Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Dec 11, 2015.
- “Green' Cronyism Is on Full Display In Paris,”The Daily Caller, Dec 10, 2015.
- “A Framework for a Global Warming Treaty Remains Unworkable (Thank Goodness),”The Daily Caller, Dec 09, 2015.
- “Paris Conference Leaders Want You to Think the Planet Is Facing a Climate Change Crisis. That's Not True.,”The Daily Caller, Dec 09, 2015.
- “Why China Shouldn't Be Trusted on Its Climate Commitment,”The Daily Caller, Dec 04, 2015.
- “Why Paris Climate Conference Is a Throwback to 1997 Kyoto Debate,”The Daily Caller, Dec 01, 2015.
- “Obama Apologizing to the World for US on Climate Is Ridiculous,”The Daily Caller, Nov 30, 2015.
- “The Cozy Relationship Between Big Business and Climate Change Activists,”The Daily Caller, Nov 06, 2015.
- “How a Green Climate Change Fund Would Transfer the Wealth of Nations,”The Daily Caller, Oct 27, 2015.
- “Obama Is Planning to Circumvent Congress Yet Again on Climate Regulations,”The Daily Caller, Oct 14, 2015.
- “Obama's New Climate Rules Will Hurt Poor, Minority Americans the Most,”The Daily Caller, Aug 29, 2015.
- “What We Can Learn From California's Failed Green Jobs Plan,”The Daily Caller, Aug 29, 2015.
- “Head of EPA Admits Climate Regulations Will Hit Low-Income Minority Families Hardest,”The Daily Caller, Aug 19, 2015.
- “Was 2014 Really the Warmest Year On Record? Fact Checking Obama's Climate Claims in State of the Union,”The Daily Caller, Jan 21, 2015.
- “White House Turns to Twitter for Climate Scare Tactics,”The Daily Caller, Nov 25, 2014.
- “The Real Story on China Climate Change Deal: We Make Changes Now, They Wait Until 2030,”The Daily Caller, Nov 12, 2014.
- “Hey, Defense Department: Focus on ISIS, not Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Oct 14, 2014.
- “More Bad News for Some Californians: Mayor Wants to Introduce Yet More Climate Regulations,”The Daily Caller, Oct 02, 2014.
- “States Plan for Higher Energy Prices Resulting from Obama's Climate Plan,”The Daily Caller, Sep 29, 2014.
- “Instead of Protesting, Climate Marchers Should Read This,”The Daily Caller, Sep 22, 2014.
- “Obama May Be Bypassing Congress on Climate,”The Daily Caller, Aug 27, 2014.
- “EPA's Climate Plan Is Flawed, Not Heritage Analysis,”The Daily Caller, Aug 20, 2014.
- “Ignore the New Obama Administration Report on Climate Change Action,”The Daily Caller, Jul 29, 2014.
- “What Obama Has Wrong on Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Jul 06, 2014.
- “Climate Change Is a Fact. But These New Emissions Regulations Won't Help the Environment.,”The Daily Caller, Jun 03, 2014.
- “The 'Cure' for Climate Change Is Far Worse than the Disease,”The Daily Caller, May 06, 2014.
- “How the Media Misrepresents What Scientists Really Think About Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Mar 01, 2014.
- “Climate-Change Busyness,”The Daily Caller, Jan 26, 2014.
- “EPA Science Advisers Raise Concerns over Climate Regulations,”The Daily Caller, Dec 05, 2013.
- “EPA's New CO2 Regulations: Time for Congress to Step Up,”The Daily Caller, Sep 20, 2013.
- “Keystone XL Jobs vs. Subsidized Green Jobs,”The Daily Caller, Jul 30, 2013.
- “Climate Change: What's Happening?,”The Daily Caller, Jul 24, 2013.
- “Climate Change: White House Confuses Myths with Realities,”The Daily Caller, Jul 02, 2013.
- “11 Problems with President Obama's Climate Change Plan,”The Daily Caller, Jun 26, 2013.
- “Obama Climate Change Plan: War on Coal Would Hike Natural Gas Prices 42 Percent,”The Daily Caller, Jun 25, 2013.
- “Previewing President Obama's Climate Change Speech,”The Daily Caller, Jun 24, 2013.
- “Farm Bill Wastes More Taxpayer Money on Green Subsidies,”The Daily Caller, May 13, 2013.
- “With Climate Change Science Unsettled, a Carbon Tax is Even More Useless,”The Daily Caller, Apr 18, 2013.
- “Obama to Lead on Climate Change, but Only Through Back Door,”The Daily Caller, Jan 23, 2013.
- “EPA Gives Green Light for California's Costly Car Program,”The Daily Caller, Jan 08, 2013.
- “Court Upholds Greenhouse Gas Rule; Congress Needs to Step Up,”The Daily Caller, Jun 26, 2012.
- “EPA Wants to Regulate CO2 but Ignores Vital Information,”The Daily Caller, Nov 28, 2011.
- “Another Government-Picked Power Company Buried in the Green Graveyard,”The Daily Caller, Oct 31, 2011.
- “EPA's CO2 Regulations are What's “Comically Wrong”,”The Daily Caller, Sep 28, 2011.
- “Four 'Green Job' Realities,”The Daily Caller, Sep 22, 2011.
- “$76 Trillion to Engineer a Green Economy?,”The Daily Caller, Jul 14, 2011.
- “Obama's Green Policies Will Turn the Lights Out on Job Creation,”The Daily Caller, Jun 14, 2011.
- “Al Roker Should Join the Rest of His Colleagues on Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, May 26, 2011.
- “We Need a Permanent Fix to the EPA's CO2 Regulations,”The Daily Caller, Apr 06, 2011.
- “We Need a Real Fix to the EPA's CO2 Power Grab,”The Daily Caller, Mar 30, 2011.
- “Defunding EPA's Ability to Regulate CO2,”The Daily Caller, Feb 14, 2011.
- “Two-Year Delay on EPA Climate Regs Is No Solution,”The Daily Caller, Feb 09, 2011.
- “Global Warming Policies and the Perverse Incentives They Create,”The Daily Caller, Dec 21, 2010.
- “Cancun Climate Change Conference: Less Hype, Same Obstacles,”The Daily Caller, Nov 30, 2010.
- “Climate Talks or Wealth Redistribution Talks?,”The Daily Caller, Nov 19, 2010.
- “California Climate Vote More about Protecting Investments,”The Daily Caller, Nov 04, 2010.
- “$700K Taxpayer-Funded Play on Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Oct 04, 2010.
- “U.S. Could Learn from U.K.'s Global Warming Reversal,”The Daily Caller, Sep 30, 2010.
- “No Link Between Global Warming and Civil Wars,”The Daily Caller, Sep 08, 2010.
- “Government Fail: EPA's Green Letter Grades for Vehicles,”The Daily Caller, Sep 01, 2010.
- “Green Police Becomes a Reality in Cleveland,”The Daily Caller, Aug 27, 2010.
- “Glacier Melting not from Climate Change?,”The Daily Caller, Jun 22, 2010.
- “Stopping the EPA's CO2 Regulations,”The Daily Caller, Jun 09, 2010.
- “Disapproving of EPA's CO2 Regulations,”The Daily Caller, May 24, 2010.
- “Living Longer in a Warming World,”The Daily Caller, May 19, 2010.
- “Climategate before Climategate,”The Daily Caller, May 17, 2010.
- “Green or Not So Green?,”The Daily Caller, Apr 27, 2010.
- “Global Warming, Melting Glaciers and Prohibition,”The Daily Caller, Apr 14, 2010.
- “UN Reaching for Any Excuse to Tackle Climate Change,”The Daily Caller, Apr 13, 2010.
- “Americans High on Nuclear, Low on Global Warming,”The Daily Caller, Mar 23, 2010.
- “Van Jones's Misguided Defense of Green Jobs,”The Daily Caller, Mar 16, 2010.
- “IMF on Climate Change: We Want to Play,”The Daily Caller, Mar 08, 2010.
Umair Irfan. “Meet the man behind the Heritage energy budget proposal,” E&E News, March 10, 2017. Archived August 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/V5Njq
“Scott Pruitt Provides an Opportunity to Rein in a Rogue EPA,” The Daily Signal, January 18, 2017. Archived Aug 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/cZ9Hr
“Why the Media’s Portrayal of Carbon Dioxide Is Often Wrong,” The Daily Signal, September 6, 2016. Archived Aug 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/6pG5P
Elliott Raia and Nicolas Loris, “College Republicans’ Misguided Support for a Carbon Tax,” The Daily Signal, April 6, 2018, Archived August 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/8gawU
Nicolas Loris. “Obama’s Climate Plan Was a Failure on All Accounts,” The Daily Signal, October 10, 2017. Archived August 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/GngPr
Nicolas Loris. “Coal in America Is Already Clean. Why ‘Clean Coal’ Is a Boondoggle That Needs to End,” The Daily Signal, June 23, 2017. Archived August 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/KCRJE
“4 Reasons Trump Was Right to Pull Out of the Paris Agreement,” The Daily Signal, June 1, 2017. Archived August 6, 2018. Archive.is URL: https://archive.fo/5ViPv
“Heartland's CPAC Energy and Environment Panel,” The Heartland Institute, March 2, 2018. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.
“Global Warming Tied to Hurricane Harvey,” Scientific American, December 14, 2017.
“Nicolas Loris,” The Daily Signal. Accessed August 4, 2018.
Nicolas Loris. “Unplug Electric Vehicle Subsidies and Let Consumers Decide,” The Daily Signal, December 3, 2018. Archived December 4, 2018. Archive.is URL: http://archive.is/B73VL
“Subcommittee on Environment: Climate Change, Part I: The History of a Consensus and the Causes of Inaction.” Oversight.House.Gov. April 9, 2019. Archived April 15, 2019. Archive.is URL: http://archive.is/G7I7u
“HEARING ON ‘DRIVING IN REVERSE: THE ADMINISTRATION’S ROLLBACK OF FUEL ECONOMY AND CLEAN CAR STANDARDS’,” House Committee on Energy & Commerce, June 20, 2019. Accessed June 25, 2019. Archive.is URL: http://archive.is/QdhHd. Archived .mp4 on file at DeSmog.
“Fact Sheet,” U.S. Department of Transportation & U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, August 2, 2018. Archived June 25, 2019. Archive.is URL: http://archive.fo/zUnrU. Archived .pdf on file at DeSmog.